I don't know about you but I am sick of all the bad news! That is all we hear about anymore. We turn on the news and we are bombarded with he-said-she-said politics, horrific crimes, financial messes, etc... No wonder we are all so stressed out all of the time. We have enough drama going on in our own lives - and then the media tops it all off with the ongoing mess of a world we live in. This blog is dedicated to ONLY good news. This is a place that you can come and be guaranteed a smile!
Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Woman Donates Her Kidney to a Coworker
Edwardsville, IL. (KPLR11.com)— An area woman steps in to save the life of a former colleague and friend. She is giving "the gift of life" after finding out one of her organs is a perfect match for a man twice her size. In a sense this is a love story.
Glenda Bell said, "I think if you love someone a lot as a friend it's like a family member."
And that's what Bell considers Michael Chatman, her former colleague at the Madison County Probation Department.
"We've been friends for at least 17 years," said Bell.
But their bond will soon deepen thanks to Glenda's compassion.
"I think that's got to be a very difficult life," said Bell.
Michael Chatman said, "I've gone though three different types of dialysis."
On Thursday the dialysis comes to an end. Glenda will give Michael something he's waited years to receive, a kidney.
"Glenda is real special she was special before but now she's more special to me," said Chatman.
He waited three years to get the call.
"They told me it could be anywhere from 2 weeks to 10 years before a donor is available," said Chatman.
And couldn't believe his friend of nearly two decades would be a perfect match.
"It caught me off guard," said Chatman.
Especially after he'd told family and friends that he'd hope the donor would be a stranger.
"I didn't want a kidney from a family member or friend because i would feel like i owe them something," said Chatman.
But as Glenda watched Michael's struggles her intuition intervened.
'I had the feeling from the beginning this was going to happen," said Bell.
Their surgeries will happen simultaneously.
"All the data shows your life expectancy is not reduced," said Bell.
And Michael's life will be extended.
"It's going to be completely different. If I want to get up and travel I can. Right now I have to plan in weeks and months in advance," said Chatman.
Michael's doctors say his body should not have any trouble accepting the new kidney and in about 6 months he should be able to resume a normal life.
Glenda's recovery will take about 6 weeks and to help cover her expenses her co-workers have set up The Glenda Bell Organ Donor Expense Fund.
Checks can be sent to the Madison County Probation Department, c/o Rhonda Wiegand or Glenda Bowker, or directly to The Glenda Bell Organ Donor Expense Fund, c/o The Clover Leaf Bank, 300 St. Louis St., Edwardsville, IL 62025.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment